Monday 6 January 2014

Day 6 – 365 Days of Photography

1-6-2014

Today is the first day of the new school term, here in Trinidad and Tobago.  After a three (3) week hiatus, my kids would have preferred to be at home, they’re lazy to go back.  I set off on my journey to take them to school and saw an old school mate of mine walking. I stopped and offered her a ride to work, after dropping my kids to school, thinking all the while of what image I should capture.  Along the way, I drove through picturesque terrain, and I looked at the possibility of shooting many a beautiful scenery.  After dropping her off, I made my way back down to San Fernando and decided to pass on an alternate route around my neighborhood.   As I came around the corner, I was approached by four Dominican Fowls (name used by my mother).

These are known as guinea fowl

 

guinea fowl

guinea fowl (gĬn´ē), common name for any of the seven species of gallinaceous birds of the family Numididae, native to Africa and Madagascar. The helmeted guinea fowl, Numida meleagris, from which the domesticated strains are descended, is typical of the family, with its bare head and neck, sleek body, smooth dark feathers dotted with white, and short tail. It is named for its bony casque. Guinea fowls are raised, mainly for their gamey flesh, in many parts of the world. Of the three domestic varieties (the pearl, the white, and the lavender), the purplish-gray colored pearl is the most common. The largest member of the family is the 24-in. (60-cm) vulturine guinea fowl, Acryllium vulturinum, found in tropical E Africa. Guinea fowls are extremely good runners and use this method, rather than flying, to escape predators. Guinea fowls are known to have been domesticated by the ancient Greeks and Romans. They are classified in the phylum Chordata, subphylum Vertebrata, class Aves, order Galliformes, family Numididae.


I had my 55-250mm lens mounted on the camera and didn’t get the opportunity to change it, so the shot is up close and personal.  Unlike their description, they neither ran nor made noise as my car approached.  I slowed and fired off a series of shots, this one I think best depicts the nature / attitude of the fowls I saw.



Email contact: upborel@gmail.com


© 2013, Odette M. Lawrence and NorDean Canvas. All rights reserved. The use and/or duplication of this material without the express and written permission of this blog’s author and/or owner are unauthorized and strictly prohibited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment