Saturday 18 January 2014

Day 18 – 365 Days of Photography


1-18-2014


Saturday mornings I take my children to soccer (football) practice.  They play at Skinner Park in San Fernando.  They learn technique, speed, and ball skills.  I was introduced to this particular venue by my brother and his wife, who also take their children there.

As I entered the park, my sister-in-law is greeting me with a smile.  She explains to me that she found out that there was a tennis instructor in Skinner Park and she wanted to start at the same time that the kids practiced.  She said that she needed four to begin, so I would make number four. I thought she was referring to having the kids play tennis, so I asked if the practice would begin immediately after soccer, to which she said, “No, it has to be at the same time, to work for her schedule”.   I then asked, “How can the children do both, was she taking them out of soccer?”  This made her laugh, and she then said “No, it’s for me”.  “OH!” She was soliciting me to play tennis, but wait I play table tennis.  This is a different stroke and technique.  I am somewhat ambidextrous.  I say somewhat because, I do not write with both hands, although I can a little, but I do several things on my left side, like sweep and bat (cricket).  I decided that if I were going to play, in order to not mess up my table tennis technique, I best learn this game using my left hand.

It then occurred to me that although I have been in Skinner Park many times, I have never noticed a lawn tennis court.  So I asked, “Where is the court?”  She responded, “I thought the same thing when I was told, and your brother, when I mentioned it, looked at me with a strange expression as though he was wondering as well.”    The other lady that did all of the inquiring got there at this point, and we got her to walk us over to where the tennis courts were.  The instructor to be was there, along with a class in session.

This guy was just about to hit the ball.

Tennis





Email contact: upborel@gmail.com


© 2013, Odette M. Lawrence and NorDean Canvas. All rights reserved. The use and/or duplication of this material without the express and written permission of this blog’s author and/or owner are unauthorized and strictly prohibited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment