Friday 17 January 2014

Day 17 – 365 Days of Photography

1-17-2014


So I sort of cheated on today’s photo.  I actually took it yesterday evening.  My daughter’s main hobby is drawing, she loves anime, and manga anime at that.  This particular evening, I caught her over her shoulder putting the finishing touches to a piece in a normal notebook, instead of a sketch pad.  I suspect that she has finished all the pages in her sketchpad thus she moved over to a notebook.  The sound of the shutter releasing made her aware of this shot after the fact. “Mom”, she yelled, “What are you doing?” “Taking your picture of course”, was my response.  She shook her head in disdain at me. I quickly retorted “You have your hobby, and I have mine”, to that she had no choice but to smile and shrug.  So today I present to you one of Sherrayne’s many pieces. 

My daughter has had no formal art training, her muses are natural, and she has improved over time and practice.  We’ve bought her a few books to help her develop technique.  Quite frankly, I do not know if she read any of them, for they still look brand new.  Her love of the Japanese culture, prompted her to join the Japanese club at school, it’s the main thing that she loves about her new school.  The availability of resources to learn to speak and write the Japanese language as well as learn the culture.   They were visited at the school by the Japanese ambassador and were told of scholarships that they could apply for to study there.  She is keen on going off to Japan to pursue her tertiary education.  I guess the Eastern world will be seeing me within the next 4-5 years.

Trinidad’s school curriculum is different from the one she was used to in Douglasville, Georgia.  There they alternated art with music.  Here they do art every week.  She is now learning to apply her natural talent to other genres of art.  Her homework often consists of pieces of still art, mosaics, sculptors, fabric, papier mache etc.  At her end of term exam, she was one of the very few that shaded their assigned piece.  She was awarded first place in her art class for it.  I am proud of my little munchkin as I fondly call her with what she has accomplished in this short space of transitional time.


I really should’ve asked her the name of this piece, but she is at school now, so I’ll have to name it whatever I want.

Sherrayne's Piece





Email contact: upborel@gmail.com

© 2013, Odette M. Lawrence and NorDean Canvas. All rights reserved. The use and/or duplication of this material without the express and written permission of this blog’s author and/or owner are unauthorized and strictly prohibited. 


No comments:

Post a Comment