Monday 3 March 2014

Day 62 – 365 Days of Photography

3-3-2014

J’ouvert is a large street party during the Carnival, in Trinidad it occurs the Monday before Ash Wednesday.  J’ouvert is a contraction of the French ‘jour ouvert’, or dawn/day break.  The celebration involves calypso/soca blasting off of trucks (typically 18 wheelers) via a DJ sound system.  The festival starts well before dawn and peaks a few hours after sunrise.  In Trinidad and Tobago, a part of the tradition involves smearing paint, mud, or oil on the bodies of the participants and often onlookers.  These participants are known as “Jab Jabs”.  I went into the city for not so happy an occasion but rather to visit a friend of my husband that was in the hospital after being stabbed the Friday before carnival.  My husband took me around the Savannah so I could capture a few shots of the revelers.

This particular masquerader was a good sport, allowing me to capture him, I allowed them to smear me with blue paint to show my camaraderie.




Email contact: upborel@gmail.com


© 2013, Odette M. Lawrence and NorDean Canvas. All rights reserved. The use and/or duplication of this material without the express and written permission of this blog’s author and/or owner are unauthorized and strictly prohibited. 

No comments:

Post a Comment