Thursday 15 May 2014

Day 135 – 365 Days of Photography

5-15-2014


Guilty as charged.  I did not take any pictures today.  So since it happens to be a Thursday, I am featuring a “TBT” (Throw Back Thursday) shot.  This is a wedding cake at a wedding that I captured in England last year. 

Why didn’t I take any pictures, you asked?  I was all equipped with my camera and went to a colleague of my dad’s home to pay him a visit.  This particular colleague teaches photography here in Trinidad.  Knowing that he is from my dad’s era, I printed a few of my shots to take for him to see.  He loved them, critiquing and encouraging me on each one. 

He then started showing me some of the images that he had captured.  Very inspiring and beautiful images, his age (not physical but rather number of years photographing) and experience shows.  He has such vast knowledge of lighting and application.  He spoke fondly of his days using film and his first dark room that he built to wash his film.  He spoke of his preference using transparencies.  He told me of his transition to the digital age and how he learned ‘photoshop’.

He then spoke fondly of a recent exhibit that was done by the high commissioner of his images in England and the letters he received after thanking him.   He doned gloves and pulled out several of the images that were sent for the exhibit, there were thirty (30) in all, twenty (20) depicting Trinidad’s carnival and ten (10) showcasing various scenes around the island, these pictures were printed on a non acid medium which could not be handled with your bare hands.

He told me that he was documenting Cedros and Point Fortin, and asked me to go into the living room, where he had a few images that he had printed that morning, laying on the floor.  The black and whites intrigued me.  There were several beach and river shots in black and white, and his expert knowledge of light showed.  The pictures were perfect to script, they had black and white and every possible shade of gray in between.

They were indeed inspiring, however, I wanted to shoot something in particular after seeing that, and it would require a trip.  So hence, no photo.  Stay tuned though, I will be making that debut shortly.

So I took an old image, and reprocessed it, making it new again LOL!




 



© 2013, Odette M. Lawrence and NorDean Canvas. All rights reserved. The use and/or duplication of this material without the express and written permission of this blog’s author and/or owner are unauthorized and strictly prohibited

No comments:

Post a Comment